Big Lake Country Overview
Author Google+ Profile
- Fort Smith is home to the Arctic College, where students from all over the north come to study.
- Most buffalo in Wood Buffalo National Park are actually hybrids of Wood Buffalo and Plains Buffalo.
- Fort Resolution, on the southeastern shore of Great Slave Lake, is a Chipewyan village, where residents hunt and trap in the Slave River Delta for a living, as their ancestors did.
- Great Slave Lake is the second largest lake in Canada, measuring 456 km (283 mi.) from east to west.
- Contrary to popular belief, Great Slave Lake did not have anything to do with slavery. Rather, it used to be ‘Great Slavey Lake’, named after the Slavey people who lived in the region.